Tuesday 19 October 2010

Moon

Watched the film, Moon (2009), last night. It was an incredible experience for me, (it prompted to write something for a change!). The film, set in the future had echoes of some of my favourite films, both thematically and visually; notable titles are: Silent Running, Bladerunner, Alien, Outland and 2001 A Space Odyssey. It took aspects from all the above films and created a brand new experience. The experience was profound and moving and elegantly executed...It's the film I should have made! It's the film I dreamt of making, (when I used to dream of making films,). Congratulations to the writer/director, Duncan Jones, he and the crew did a great job, (Sam Rockwell was mesmerising, it has to be said). I had a feeling of nostalgia watching the imagery, the visuals comforted me as they were so familiar. It was a British production, it felt like one, authentic and gritty and human? It contained lots of Special effects models as well as CGI and was a good balance of the two, creating a vivid thematic recall of all the other past movies. The film sets, complete with polygonal shaped corridors and doorways was evocative of a place I know, a place that I inhabited during my childhood. It was my escape shuttle, my Off World Colony... If you haven't seen it, don't watch the trailer first, just watch the film.

g.




Moon Screen Shots - Gavin Rothery Designs